$60 Million in AAA Premium Savings to be Returned
Following careful review of the COVID-19 crisis’ impact on members’ driving habits and claims, AAA – The Auto Club Group is announcing that approximately $60 million in premium savings will be returned to its insureds pending regulatory approval. Across all AAA and Meemic branded Auto products*, policies that are in effect as of April 30, 2020 will receive financial relief totaling 20% of their policy premium for the months of April and May 2020. This reflects current and anticipated reductions in miles driven by AAA insureds. Refunds will be processed as soon as regulatory approval is received in each respective state.
Insurance customers do not need to take any action as their savings will be refunded in a one-time premium credit or check, depending on the policy
administrative system. Customers can expect to receive their refund by May 31, 2020, pending regulatory approval. ACG will be sharing the news in a press release at noon today, which will be followed by social media postings. Additionally, individual policyholders will be notified by email beginning Monday, April 20.
* Policy exceptions not eligible for returned premium savings include the following:
• Specialty Vehicles
• JUA (Michigan)
Agents should continue to reference the COVID-19 Billing Accommodations
Guide on Your AAA Connection (YAC) to identify additional ways to assist insureds who are experiencing financial struggles due to the pandemic.
ACG’s intention is to file this as an expense that would not impact agent commission, however, this may be subject to regulatory approval.
April 17, 2020
Agent Impact: ACG Employee Entrepreneurial IndependentRegion Impact:
Additional Resources and Savings for Members
ACG is also providing a variety of resources and services to help provide relief to members during this time, including:
• Pausing cancellations for auto policies due to non-payment through May 31, 2020.
• In support of policyholders who are on the front line delivering critical items, ACG is extending auto insurance coverage – at no additional cost –for drivers who are using their personal vehicles to deliver food and medicine. This change is in effect through May 31, 2020 and will continue to be evaluated as this situation progresses.
• AAA’s bank is extending support to its customers in the form of loan and credit card payment fee relief, a 90-day no-payments offer on new or
refinanced car loans and overdraft fee relief.
• Travel customers can navigate the many options that are evolving daily on the COVID-19 Travel Help Center at AAA.com/TravelExpert.
• And of course, AAA Membership offers many money-saving benefits, from Protect My ID to prescription savings and career assistance.
ACG Continues to Support Local Communities
To assist customers affected by the COVID-19 crisis, Acuity is discounting our personal auto rates, subject to regulatory approval. This reduction will benefit existing as well as new policyholders and provide nearly $20 million to our personal lines customers.
Acuity carefully considered a number of different options for providing rate relief to customers. Ultimately, we determined that providing a rate discount was the best choice.
All existing personal lines auto policyholders will receive a rate cut for the entire next 12-month policy term at their policy renewal. New customers will also see a reduction in Acuity’s standard automobile insurance rates. A typical customer with two cars will see a decrease between $50 and $100, depending on their unique situation. This amounts to a credit of 7% for most customers. The rate decrease will apply to all new and renewal policies with effective dates on and after March 11, 2020.
Customers do not need to take any action to receive the discount—it will be applied automatically. Additionally, Acuity continues to work closely with our mutual customers to offer payment solutions based on individual needs and circumstances.
In addition to providing direct relief to our personal auto customers, Acuity has determined it will donate $300,000 distributed equally among three charitable organizations, including Feeding America, the Salvation Army, and the Sheboygan County Food Bank.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Auto-Owners Insurance will be refunding up to 15% of Private Passenger Auto premiums for the months of April and May 2020. This refund is pending regulatory approval. In order to be eligible for a refund, a vehicle must have bodily injury coverage.
Once regulatory approval is received, we will apply up to a 15% premium refund. Below are the details:
•This refund will automatically occur. There is no action needed on behalf of the agent or the policyholder.
•The refund will be processed upon regulatory approval. We expect this will take place during the month of May.
•You will be able to find each customers refund notice through the Agency Portal once it has been processed. You can search for a customer by name or policy number and then view their policy documents.
•Policyholders who are enrolled in our Customer Center, can log in and view their refund notice in the document section. If they are not enrolled in the Customer Center, they can enroll by clicking the Log In link at auto-owners.com.
•The customers refund will be applied to any outstanding balance on their billing account. Any remainder will be returned via check or their automatic payment method.
•This refund applies to private passenger auto policies.
•New customers written during the months of April and May will also be eligible for this refund. Policies need to be in force effective May 31, 2020.
•Existing customers must have bodily injury coverage in force on March 31, 2020, in order for the refund to apply.
For Michigan policies, the refund will not apply to the MCCA premium charge. MAIPF/JUA policies are excluded from the refund.
For North Carolina ceded auto policies, the refund will not apply.
•ATV’s, snow mobiles, golf carts, campers and similar items will not be eligible for the refund.
If you have any questions, please contact your Auto-Owners marketing representative or branch underwriting office.
REMINDER: CUSTOMER CENTER ENROLLMENT
Policyholders enrolled in Customer Center have 24/7 access to make payments, check claims status, view their policy documents and more! You can enroll by clicking the Log In link on auto-owners.com, downloading Auto-Owners Mobile from the app store, or your agency can sign them up from the Agency Portal.
Helping people in times of need is what we do as insurance professionals. Very recently, we’ve seen competitors offer what appear to be marketing incentives for their existing policyholders, including things like reimbursement checks or discounts/reduced rates for a set period of time.
We’ve decided to take a different path. We believe it is more important to view this with a strategic, long term vision to best help our agents and policyholders and, as a result, have created a more customized approach:
• No General Rate Increases: Withdrawing any rate increases that were in the process of being filed, and postponing exploration of additional rate increases until at least October 2020.
• Payment Flexibility: Working with one policyholder/one agent at a time in an effort resolve any billing issues with fair, reasonable and creative alternatives, including allowing a 60-day grace period for payments.
• Dependable Team: Continuing to offer a market for new business, having the utmost confidence in our personal & commercial underwriting teams to do what they can to write & retain an account.
Additionally, we’ve implemented personal and commercial-specific practices to provide the best service possible:
Personal Lines Solutions
• Deductible Sharing: When settling losses incurred today through July 1, 2020 we will reduce the deductible by 50%.
This reaffirms our commitment to our policyholders as their insurance provider and offers financial flexibility should a claim be filed.
• If policyholders request a reduced rate, we’ve instructed our underwriting team to consider creative solutions, such as applying the pleasure usage rate in place of a commute rate on an auto policy. If a reduction in coverage is requested, we will refer them to you as their trusted insurance advisor.
• We have seen some excellent traction with our TRUST Auto and Home rates, which remain an alternative option with considerably lower rates for policyholders who may still be in our Legacy program.
• Later this month, we will be announcing new underwriting initiatives.
Commercial Lines Solutions
• Our underwriting team has been working with many policyholders who request to reduce payrolls or sales in an effort to lower their premium and reflect the impact COVID-19 has had on their businesses.
• We expedited the processing, filing, and payment of first quarter workers’ compensation dividends to eligible policyholders.
• Despite our normal underwriting guidelines, we will add hired & non-owned auto coverage to commercial policies mid-term, upon request, at no additional cost.
First and foremost, we hope that you and your families remain safe and healthy as we all continue to navigate through the challenges the COVID-19 crisis has presented to all of us. In response to questions regarding the status of Donegal Insurance Group operations and our response to the COVID-19 crisis, please note the following information regarding our business continuity plans and various actions we have taken to ensure continuity of our service capabilities to our agency business partners and customers:
After careful consideration, ERIE has decided to lower personal and commercial auto rates in order to provide additional relief to our Customers. We estimate the total rate reduction impact to be approximately $200 million throughout the 12 states and District of Columbia where ERIE operates.
While ERIE’s pricing philosophy has always centered on providing exceptional protection and service at the lowest possible cost, lowering rates during this challenging time is simply the right thing to do. Pending regulatory approval, rate changes will vary by state and will be based on individually purchased policies and coverage options. Once approved, premium adjustments will take effect at the time of renewal.
The rate reductions announced today are in addition to the relief ERIE is already providing to thousands of Customers, including individualized payment flexibility, paramedical exam waivers for life insurance applicants and philanthropic support to COVID-19 rapid response funds across our communities.
Flexible Payment and Billing Options
ERIE understands that each Customer’s situation is unique, and we continue to offer flexibility to Customers facing hardship.
This pandemic has significantly impacted all of our lives. At Erie Insurance, we continue to consider what we can do to make a difference for our Customers and communities. Most of you aren’t driving; you’re staying at home doing the right thing to protect yourselves and your neighbors.
That’s why we’re announcing that we will provide $200 million in dividends directly to personal and commercial auto insurance Customers in our 12 states and the District of Columbia. This immediate relief represents about 30 percent of your monthly auto insurance premium for a two-month period or 5 percent of your annual premium.
You can calculate your dividend using this simple equation: Annual premium as of April 1, 2020, multiplied by .30 / divided by 6. You can find your annual premium on your most recent auto insurance declarations page. For personal auto insurance Customers, you can access your declarations page through your Online Account at View Policy Details.
Pending regulatory approval, you should receive a check from us in mid-May 2020. There is no need for you to call ERIE or your Agent to request the payment. Checks will be mailed directly to Customers with auto insurance policies in force as of April 1, 2020.
This announcement is in addition to the $200 million in rate reductions we announced earlier this month, pending regulatory approval. Together these efforts provide a combined $400 million in immediate relief and longer-term rate reductions for ERIE auto insurance Customers.
We recognize that many of our Agents and Employees have been doing great charitable works in their local communities. They’re feeding first responders and healthcare workers, purchasing gift cards from restaurants and retailers to thank those on the front lines and so much more. In support of their efforts, ERIE is also giving nearly $2.5 million to our Agents and branch offices to help further their generosity. Among many other initiatives, we’re also funding the COVID-19 Rapid Response Fund that supports critical non-profits right here in our hometown of Erie, Pennsylvania.
For 95 years, we’ve been doing the right thing by our Customers. During these unprecedented and uncertain times, please know you can call us and your Agent to help with issues related to payment, billing and changes in coverage. We stand by our Customers in times of hardship and catastrophe. It’s who we’ve been since 1925 — a company that’s always there for you — always aiming to be Above All in Service®.
If you have questions about ERIE’s Customer relief package, visit erieinsurance.com/support-center/COVID-19.
Over the past 166 years, we’ve weathered more than a few storms and witnessed some major historical events. Throughout it all, we’ve maintained a steadfast commitment to assisting our valued policyholders through the highs and the lows. As we all weather the current COVID-19 global pandemic, we are pleased to be able to offer some relief and certainty in these unprecedented times. In an effort to ease some of the burdens of our insureds, we’ve implemented the following action items:
• For our personal automobile policyholders with a policy in force as of March 31st, 2020, we will be returning 15% of their April and May premiums. Pending regulatory approval, the premium refund checks will be processed and mailed as soon as administratively feasible.
• We are aware of the impact that this crisis is having on business owners, many of whom are struggling amidst this uncertainty. Effective immediately, and continuing through September 1st, 2020, there will be no rate increases on Commercial Lines Policy Renewals (except for Workers Compensation Renewals).
• Upon request from an agent and/or an insured, we will reinstate any policy that lapses for non-payment through June 1st, 2020. As always, we are committed to working with policyholders on creative, flexible payment plans.
• In an effort to continue our relief efforts for our personal automobile policyholders, we will not be surcharging claims on Personal Auto policies through September 1st, 2020.
In the coming days, weeks, and months, we will continue to assess the impact of COVID-19 on our policyholders and will update you as needed. In the meantime, please feel free to reach out to me with any questions, concerns, or feedback you may have.
Like you, we are closely monitoring the impact of COVID-19 on the property and casualty insurance industry, including the Personal Auto line of business. We are reviewing the effect that current driving behaviors are having on premiums. We are also reviewing the impact that any premium adjustment would have on our business, your agency, and your policyholders. Please be aware that any change we propose must be approved by regulators before it can be put in place. We will continue to review the situation and will communicate our decision as soon as it is finalized.
As you may already know, we are offering two service enhancements for your policyholders:
• Suspending Cancellations for Nonpayment of Premiums
• Restaurant Delivery and Auto Coverage
We appreciate your patience and cooperation during this extraordinary time for each and every one of us.
15% Personal Auto Premium Refund
Hastings Mutual plans to return 15% of the combined March and April 2020 auto premiums to our eligible Personal Auto customers, pending regulatory approval.
After consideration of the impact on our agent partners, our customers, and our business, Hastings Mutual plans to return 15% of the combined March and April 2020 auto premiums to our eligible Personal Auto customers, pending regulatory approval.
This refund applies to existing and new policies. No actions is needed by our agents or customers to receive this refund.
If the policy is full-pay and does not have any amount past due, the returned premium will be sent as a check to the customer’s address.
If the policy is paid in installments, and there is an existing premium balance due on the policy, the refund amount will be used to pay the balance. Any remainder will be returned to the customer by check.
Pass-through fees like Michigan’s Catastrophic Claims Association fee are not included in the premium amount used to determine the refund.
We expect to begin distributing checks in late May. Distribution could take up to 14 days.
As you may already be aware, we are offering other service enhancements for your customers. These are part of Hastings Mutual Helps, a resource for support and information on what we’re doing for our agency partners and customers as a result of COVID-19.
Suspending Cancellations for Nonpayment of Premiums
Restaurant Delivery and Auto Coverage
Additional enhancements will be added to the Hastings Mutual Helps webpage as they are announced.
This crisis deserves everyone’s attention and we all have a responsibility to do our part. Kemper has always been there to help our customers through the tough times and now is no different. Our policyholders have committed to practice social distancing and are driving less, and that deserves recognition through financial relief, a critical area of support to our customers as we move together through this situation.
Kemper personal auto customers who have a policy in force as of April 30 will receive a 15% credit on their April premiums in May, and personal auto customers with a policy in force as of May 31 will receive a 15% credit on their May premiums in June. The two premium credits are subject to approval from regulators. The credits will be applied directly to the policyholder’s policy. If a customer has paid in full, they will receive a refund of the credited amounts. Customers will not need to take any action to receive the benefits.
At MetLife Auto & Home®, we understand the difficulty surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic and all of its uncertainty. We remain committed to ensuring our customers continue to receive the service they expect, maintain the coverages they need, and that we process claims remotely to ensure social distancing.
Being there for our customers when they need us the most is the promise MetLife delivers on every day. Our team is here and ready to help in any way we can, so that our customers can focus on their health and well-being as well as their families.
Please read the full letter about what MetLife is doing for its Auto customers, including providing a 15% credit to active Auto customers for their April and May monthly premiums.
We’re pleased to share that to get relief in your hands quickly and simply during the COVID-19 pandemic, Nationwide is offering a one-time premium refund of $50 per policy for personal auto policies active as of March 31, 2020. You don’t need to do anything. Refunds will automatically be credited to your most recent method of payment (for example, automatic withdrawal, credit card, personal check) within the next 30 days. We are offering this rapid relief at a time when many drivers are making the right choice to stay off the road and remain home to help “flatten the curve.” If you’re looking for additional ways to save money on your auto insurance, please reach out to our office. We can help assess how new offers such as SmartRide or SmartMiles could be a fit for you.
Thank you for all you’re doing as Coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to bring change and uncertainty around the world.
We want to provide additional detail about our process for the $50 auto premium credits that Paul VanDenBosch announced earlier this month.
• To complete credit processing with the least amount of disruption, we will be placing PCI in maintenance mode this weekend. During this time, the system will be unavailable and is planned to be fully functional for the start of business Monday, April 27.
• A $50 premium credit will be applied to each Private Client auto policy that was active on March 31, 2020.
• Clients who have an active balance on their auto policy will receive a credit on their upcoming auto billing statement. For clients with auto policies paid in full, we will begin issuing refund checks the week of May 4.
• Agency commissions will not be impacted by the refund.
• No additional client communication is planned about the refunds.
If you have any questions, please contact your Sales Manager or the Private Client Solutions Center at
As you are probably aware, some companies have recently come forward with a short-term plan to ease the pain caused by COVID-19. We believe that there can be no short-term solutions to long-term problems and that the magnitude of the current crisis is yet to be realized. At this time, we are not offering any sort of a refund or discount to our policyholders due to COVID-19. Our team is closely monitoring the situation while analyzing our own data to determine any additional actions we can take in the future. Rest assured that we are committed to offering the best pricing to our policyholders over the long term.
For policyholders, we continue to offer our 60-day grace period through May 18 and are waiving any late fees. In addition, we will work with them if they need to change payment plans or make other payment arrangements.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to our billing teams if we can assist you or your policyholders in any way. We will get through this together.
The COVID-19 pandemic has caused significant disruptions to our normal routines and unimaginable losses to some of our friends, family members and local communities. Social distancing policies have required restaurants, offices, small businesses and schools to close. These closures along with government mandated stay-at-home orders for non-essential travel have resulted in a decline in vehicle use and miles driven. It is estimated that there will be significantly fewer miles driven during the months of March and April nationwide.
Pending regulatory approval, a credit of 15% will be applied to two months of premiums for those policies in force as of April 30 in recognition of the temporary reduction in vehicle miles driven. The credit will automatically be applied to the policyholder’s next premium balance or refunded if paid in full. Premium returned benefits our 165,000 Personal Auto customers. While the full impact of the COVID-19 pandemic remains uncertain, we know customers are driving less and the fewer accidents are reflected in our return premium.
Helping support our policyholders and our community
In addition to providing refunds and premium credits to policyholders, we continue to support our customers and the greater community in a number of ways.
• Flexible billing – We are providing an extended 30-day premium grace period to allow customers more time to pay before cancellation notices are sent. We are waiving late fees and reinstatement fees. Our Customer Contact Center representatives also have the authority switch a policyholder to a more convenient payment plan.
• Uninterrupted customer support – Thanks to our technology and business continuity preparations, we continue to be available during normal business hours. Also, our customers can report claims 24/7.
• Support for front-line healthcare workers – We recently donated over 19,000 respirator masks to Geisinger Holy Spirit Healthcare. We appreciate the tireless work of all healthcare professionals and will continue to look for ways to support them.
We will continue to keep you informed of new developments.
Progressive returns $1 billion in premium to customers. Today we announced that we’re providing credits of approximately $1 billion in premium to Progressive personal auto customers as a result of fewer claims that come with less frequent driving. Subject to approval by state regulators, Progressive personal auto customers who have a policy in force as of April 30 will be credited 20% of their April premiums in May and personal auto customers with a policy in force as of May 31 will be credited 20% of their May premiums in June. We estimate that the sum of these two credits will total approximately $1 billion. We may offer additional credits in the upcoming months. Customers will not need to take any actions to receive the benefits. The credits will be applied automatically to the customer’s policy and those customers who have paid in full will receive a payment of the credited amounts. Customers will see it reflected in their accounts within a few weeks after month end. If they have a balance on the policy, we’ll apply the credit directly to the remaining balance. If they’ve already paid in full, we’ll return the money to the payment account we have on file.
Rockford Mutual Insurance is committed to providing you and your customers a consistent and reliable insurance product. There has been a great deal of press regarding National and Super Regional Insurers providing a premium refund for March and April. Rockford Mutual Insurance is continuing to monitor this situation very closely and currently we are not providing a premium return.
As a mutual insurer, we believe in maintaining a stable and competitive product in the marketplace. The past few years our rate indications on Personal Auto have indicated a need for significant double-digit increases. However, we have maintained moderate increases to work this line of business toward profitability. Our rate increases have remained around the 2% to 6% range. Once again, we wish to remain a consistent carrier and avoid sending your good customers shopping, if possible.
A great deal of press is indicating that losses are down due to stay-at-home orders keeping your customers off the highways. Our own claim data refutes this as do multiple recent industry articles. While we understand that your customers are looking for something from their carrier to help offset these difficult times, we feel that a small short term refund does not carry the same value as a carrier that works to take care of your policyholders every day of the year.
Your customers are important to you and to Rockford Mutual Insurance. We want to assist them in any reasonable way possible. So, we implemented the following actions:
• On March 19th we stopped cancellations for non-payment of premium. Since then, Indiana and Illinois have issued 60-day moratoriums which we are honoring. We are voluntarily honoring this same extension in Wisconsin even though a moratorium was not declared.
• Our Customer Care Team is doing their best to be accommodating with payment schedules, etc.
• We are providing short-term coverage for delivery (restaurant workers) on their personal auto policies until the completion of the stay-at-home orders.
• We are providing Hired and Non-Owned Auto coverage upon request for no additional charge for all eating establishments in Wisconsin. We have also made this coverage available upon request to Illinois and Indiana eating establishments at the Non-Delivery rate.
• We have postponed upcoming Personal Auto and Commercial Auto rate changes we had scheduled for this time. They will be reconsidered at a future appropriate date.
• Rockford Mutual Insurance contributed to the Illinois COVID-19 Response Fund. This fund was established to provide funds to non-profits throughout the State of Illinois to assist families in need.
There is significant uncertainty ahead of all of us at this time. States are beginning to extend their stay-at-home orders. If this occurs, I am certain that Insurance Departments will extend the moratorium for cancellations. We believe it is extremely crucial we remain a long-term stable market for you and your customers. We will do this by evaluating the ever-changing landscape through this pandemic and make the best decisions we can for you and your customers.
We appreciate your support and as always, Rockford Mutual associates are ready and able to assist you and your agency in any way possible. I wish you and your families good health as we battle the COVID-19 pandemic together. As always, if you wish to visit, please feel free to contact me.
Our customers have made changes as well. Many have been sheltering-in-place, doing their part to help flatten the curve of this pandemic. Our auto customers are driving less and reducing their exposure, so we believe it is appropriate to credit a portion of their premium. This action, along with other COVID-19-related considerations to help customers keep their coverages in place, are just a few of the ways we’re helping our mutual customers at this difficult time.
Here are a few highlights of our COVID-19 credit program:
This credit, along with the adjustments in pay plans and grace periods, are just two of the many ways we’re helping our customers and distribution partners deal with COVID-19’s impact. This situation continues to evolve, but our commitment to our agents, customers, and employees remains constant. The entire Selective team is here, ready to support you and our customers, as we work through this challenge together. Thank you for your partnership.
With so many of our customers feeling stress and financial pressure related to the current public health crisis, we are committed to do what we can to help them manage through these difficult times. With this in mind we want to introduce several relief efforts, including:
• Returning 15% of April and May auto premiums to personal lines customers through The Hanover CARES Refund. This will not impact commission payments to your agency
• Offering flexibility on bill payment options for those experiencing financial hardship, without any penalties and fees, including placing a 60-day hold on cancellations and non-renewals for non-payment
• Extending personal auto coverage to individuals delivering food, medicine and other essential goods at no additional charge
• Considering a covered premises as “occupied” while mandatory closures are in effect, addressing concerns with vacancy clauses
• Waiving the limit on additional living expenses for homeowners who are forced from their homes following covered losses, such as a fire, to pay for delayed repairs and the added costs associated with temporary living arrangements
• Extending the number of days we will reimburse a customer for a rental car if an insured’s vehicle is in the shop and cannot be repaired or returned
Additionally, our agent COVID-19 resource center offers more details about these and other actions we are taking.
Since people are driving less, we’re seeing fewer auto claims. So we’re giving auto customers some relief on their bills though The Hartford’s COVID 19 Personal Auto Payback Plan. Here’s what we’re doing:
15% Payback: We will be issuing a 15 percent refund on two months’ worth of premium for all customers with an in force personal auto policy as of 4/1/2020. Customers who pay the premium in installments will receive a credit toward their next payment. We are working with state insurance departments to approve these credits so we can pay them as quickly as possible. We plan to issue payments to customers either by check or direct deposit into the billing account on record. Customers do not need to take any action to receive this credit . This credit applies whether a customer pays in full or in installments.
Billing grace period: For customers having financial difficulty, we will waive late-payment fees and cancellations for non-payment. This applies to personal auto and home policies until May 31. We hope this grace period gives customers financial flexibility during this crisis.
We know that many of our customers are doing their part to help stop the spread of COVID-19 by staying at home. That means many of them are driving fewer miles, resulting in a decrease in auto claims. With that in mind, we have launched the Stay-at-Home Auto Premium Credit Program, which will automatically give U.S. personal auto insurance customers a 15% credit on their April and May premiums. It’s our way of supporting our customers, and we hope it helps ease some of the financial burden many are experiencing.
• Providing billing relief for all U.S. customers, including suspending cancellation and nonrenewal of coverage due to nonpayment through May 15, 2020 (no interest, late fees or penalties will be charged).
• Giving U.S. personal auto insurance customers a 15% credit on their April and May premiums.
• Adjusting the claim inspection process to rely more heavily on state-of-the-art digital and virtual tools.
• Conducting virtual premium audits for an extra measure of safety.
• Providing telemedicine options for injured employees through workers compensation, including a temporary telerehabilitation program for those who are concerned about or unable to attend physical therapy visits in person.
We will continue to assess the program as more information comes to light about the impact of the COVID-19 crisis on the driving environment and auto claims. Customers who pay by monthly installments will receive the automatic credit on future bills. Customers who have already paid their billing account in full will receive a direct payment. We are working with regulators to obtain all the necessary approvals.
Effective immediately, we are extending our billing relief plan through June 15, 2020. The details of the plan remain the same: Cancellation and nonrenewal of coverage due to nonpayment have been suspended, and no interest, late fees or penalties will be charged during this period. We will continue to comply with all regulatory orders and monitor and adjust our policies as needed.
MOST RECENT UPDATE:
We know that many of our customers are continuing to do their part to help stop the spread of COVID-19 by staying at home. Even as more states begin to relax their shelter-in-place orders, many people continue to drive fewer miles, resulting in a decrease in auto claims.With that in mind, we are extending our Stay-at-Home Auto Premium Credit Program, which will automatically give our customers a 15% credit on their June auto premiums. Please note that this credit will have no impact on the base commission associated with the policy. Customers will receive the automatic credit either on future bills or via their last payment method.
In response to all that’s going on around us, we’re happy to announce we’ll be sending a one-time payment of $50 to Home and Highway policyholders who insured their vehicles with us as of March 11, 2020, the date the World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a pandemic. We hope these additional dollars provide some help as we move forward in these uncertain times. We’re currently consulting with insurance regulators to gain approval for our plan and finalizing how to deliver the payments as quickly as possible. More details will follow in the coming days. Through good times and bad, West Bend remains committed to our to policyholders. That commitment includes our industry-leading claim service and the Claim Free Award – returning a portion of your premium when you don’t have a claim during a policy term. We appreciate our policyholders’ loyalty and wish you and your loved ones good health and better days ahead.
While many of the WMI employees are working from home, we are providing the same high level customer service both you and our policyholders are accustomed to experiencing. Some of the things that we are doing differently during the COVID-19 pandemic are summarized for you here:
• Coverage for food delivery on our personal lines auto policies during the pandemic
• Flexibility in payment plans and options
• Allowing one month down on new business when needed
• Leniency in underwriting regarding cancellations and non-renewals
• COVID-19 relief check:
o Will be sent to active policyholders (letter early next week and check the following week)
o $50 check per auto policy with at least one full coverage vehicle
o $25 check per auto policy that is liability only
o WI OCI has approved refund and MN still pending.